Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. On average, about 1,500 people in the United States die every year due to accidental carbon dioxide poisoning produced by non-automotive consumer products. These products include malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters, and room heaters, engine-powered equipment such as portable generators, fireplaces, and charcoal that is burned in homes.
With today’s tightly sealed and well insulated homes, carbon monoxide can accumulate to hazardous levels in a short period of time. Therefore, it’s critical to have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Other fuel burning appliances such as gas water heaters, dryers, and other appliances should also be checked to ensure they are properly vented to the outside of the house. United Service Specialists Heating & Air Conditioning’s skilled and knowledgeable technicians can easily install carbon monoxide detectors, investigate sources of CO from fuel burning equipment and appliances, and inspect for proper operation of this equipment.
Call us today to keep your family safe!